Tuesday 27 July 2010

Allotment 27/7/10

Waitrose, home of the overly descriptive labels and a shop that nicely turns a negative into a selling point.
 I recently bought some nectarines from them (yes I know, air miles, but I can’t grow them yet and they only came from Italy and, and I think that this is the most important point, they are really, really tasty) and the label bore the legend “Home Ripening”. I’m sorry, what now? So they are not ripe yet? So they were picked when they weren’t ready to be? I know that bananas are picked when green and then ripened later but soft fruit? It doesn’t seem right some how. I pick my crops when they are ready.
 I know that if they were picked when they were perfect by the time they were transported here they would be spoiled but really, ripening after I’ve bought them?
 Waitrose do also, in a sort of ying/yang thing, “Tree Ripen” apples in the autumn leading me to scream, on the inside, were else would they ripen?! Although the answer to that is provided, I suppose, by the nectarines.

Would you like to see some pictures of some dogs in jumpers? Of course you would,

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

A patient at one of the places that I work bought this knitting book in for me after he heard that my wife knits. He did do it as a joke, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment