Monday 25 October 2010

Allotment 25/10/10


I sort of assume that if you read this nonsense you have at least a passing interest in growing food. Most of the people I know who grow (yes I liked the rhyme) try to do so “organically” but this can be a hard thing to achieve. Yes you've managed to grow lettuces without any fertilizers and slug pellets but what happened to the seeds before you got them? Many seeds are treated with chemicals, such as anti-fungals, before you get them so you have to look out for organic seeds when you are buying.
 The question I want to ask is why do you grow organic and if you buy organic from the supermarket, why?
 I grow organically basically because I can. I have great soil, I rotate my crops and I only need to produce enough food for significant other and me and if a crop fails, ah well, there is always Waitrose. If I had to feed my family or if it was what I did for living then I would probably use some chemicals if they were needed. I'm not here to preach at you because I don't really care what you do. Why you choose to grow in that way is up to you because it doesn't really affect anyone else.
 Now, what you buy at the supermarket does affect other people and the planet so this is a bit more of an issue. Has “Organic” simply become a middle-class term meaning “It costs more, look at me, I have lots of disposable income” because there seems no other logic in buying it?
“Well, it tastes better” is one well trampled argument which is obviously rubbish. If the strawberries that you are buying are Elsanta it will taste of nothing whether it was drench in chemicals or grown only in organically hand-knitted Quorn based compost. The variety is important in taste not how it was grown.
“They have more nutrients in though, they are better for you.” Again, no. Studies show that the nutrient content of organic/conventionally farmed veg is roughly the same.  The only argument that can, sort of, be made in this direct in about pesticides. There are more pesticides on skins of conventionally fruit and veg, this much is true, but give them a bit a wash and they are fine and the pesticides residues are all within very, very safe limits. If you want to say “Well I’d rather not have any pesticide residues in my food” then fine but it isn’t a decent argument, merely a personal choice thing.
“It's better for the planet that they don't use chemicals.” True enough but only if the food you are buying was grown just down the road and delivered to your supermarket on the back of a donkey. If your organic Mange Tout was air freighted from Africa then it really isn't any better for the planet.
 This brings me to another point. If you are trying to make the planet a nicer place why are you buying organic veg packaged in oil derived plastic? Conventional grown fruit and veg is sold loose, I never use the little plastic bags and Waitrose don't seem to mind, but the organic crops are all sold in plastic bags.


I understand that Supermarkets need to differentiate between the different types of product but it does seem a little pointless if you are trying to save the planet and then supporting the oil industry.
 Please understand that I am not criticising you if you want to buy organic produce but I do want you to think about what you are doing.
 Fairtrade is probably better than organic. Ooh and on that point, I want some sort of Fairtrade deal for British farmers as well so that they can get paid properly by Supermarkets for what they do. Oh and a Supermarket Ombudsman would be good too.
 “Oh, that would be expensive and we would have to pass that cost on to the customer” is the response from the major food retailers. Tesco alone made about £3.4 billion profit last year; I think they can absorb an extra little bit cost.
 I stopped now, there is some hoeing to do at the allotment, best I go and do that.
I might talk about meat next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment